Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I made it

To help get us out a dinner runt.  I've been searching magazines and of course pinterest.  I know I have yet to share the fabulousness that is pinterest so you'll have to trust me when I say it's wonderful and fabulous. I'll give you a quick description.  You know when your going through a magazine and see something you like you either tear the page out and try to file it away into a recipe box or turn the corner down and then keep the magazine in the archive of magazines with pages turned down because you will get to it at some point?  Well, tear no more and turn down no more corners Pinterest is a digital pin board. You pin based on appearance and title and click on it to get full details (basically how to instrcutions).  Pinterest makes you feel like a fabulous cook, awesome DIY-er, funny as can be comic, and the best dressed person wherever you go. Ok so now that my wow that took forever quick description is complete I will proceed.

I came across the following the recipe from Woman's Day magazine:

Creamy Double-Cheese Sauce with Pasta:

Creamy Double-Cheese Sauce with Pasta (active 10min, total 25 min, serves 6)


1 lb pasta
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped (*I used onion powder)
salt, pepper
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
3/4 cup whole milk (I used 1%)
4 oz lowfat cream cheese, cut into pieces
1/4 cup parmesan  (1 oz)
Pinch ground nutmeg

1) cook pasta according to package directions.  Reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid, drain the pasta and return it to the pot.

2) meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over med-low heat.  And the onion and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper and cook covered, stirring occasionally, until very tender, 6-8min.  Stir in the garlic and cook for 1min. *If using onion powder then start with the garlic

3) Whisk in the milk and bring to a simmer.  Whisk in the cream cheese, parmesan and nutmeg *add onion powder and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 2-3min.  Toss with the pasta, adding some of the reserved cooking liquid if the pasta seems dry.

The good the bad and the ugly:
per serving: 1 cup 383 calories, 8g fat (3g sat fat), 16mg chol, 239mg sod, 14g pro, 62g carbs, 3g fiber

I served ours with chicken marinated in zesty italian dressing and parmesan cheese baked in the oven at 350 for 20-30min.  Now,  I don't reccommend making this during nap time (ie approx 4-5hrs before you will be par taking in it's yumminess) by the time we ate the pasta was pretty dry despite my efforts to cream it up a bit.  I ate it "as is", hubby on the other hand asked if he could put alfredo sauce on his. I obliged and thought too about adding it but decided against it. If I make it again I will without a doubt half the recipe.  We have enough leftovers for 2 nights worth of dinners or 2 lunches and 1 dinner.  We aren't that fond of leftovers...

No comments:

Post a Comment