Saturday, April 28, 2012

independence and nudity

This is my attempt to redeem myself from a)my lack of posts and b)my last post being completely lame. I'm thinking my title alone makes this posts much more interesting than bullets.  Ian is growing, changing, learning on daily basis. He is also growing independent and wanting to attempt things/activities on his own.  While I embrace this time and learn to let go and get over the fact that it may take him 20min to put on his undies that the truth is he is in fact becoming a self functioning human in which the world will thank me for later in allowing him to learn to put his undies on by himself.  This new independence comes with several warnings.

Warning #1: when child has a "I do it myself" moment be prepared for your laundry pile to grow by at least 3 clothing items. Ian needed to go potty so he heads to the potty and insists on doing his business solo, so as a good parent I obliged and sit on the edge of my seat and peek into the bathroom patiently wait until I hear "all done".  Ian proudly walks out of bathroom and his shirt has a small wet spot and he is carrying his undies and jeans.  Since I wasn't present to witness how this all occurred of what I did witness he decided to go stand up on his stool to potty.  So my guess as to how his shirt, undies and jeans all got some wetness is that upon pushing down undies and jeans he started to go, it's the only logically thing I can figure out as his shirt wasn't long enough to be in the way of his aim. You've been warned, when child has a full bladder and upon pushing undies pants down solo you're laundry will grow.

Warning #2: when child has accomplished the unzipping of footed PJ's he/she will blame it falling out of bed.  Ian was fighting bedtime one night, so I did what any good parent would do and let him cry it out for 10-20min (**can be risky when child is no longer in a toddler bed and therefore can get up and open door and abandon bedtime altogether).  After the approx 20min mark, I went and checked on him and there I found him sprawled out on his floor completely naked his footed PJ's on one side of him and his pull up on the other side.  When I asked what happened he said "I fell out of bed" (*note to prevent him falling out of bed when sleeping we inserted a pool noodle under his sheet to create a barrier between him and the floor).  When asked what happened to his PJ's he repeated "I fell out of bed".  So I said you fell out of bed and your jammies and pull up fell off too and he said YAY!! (In his excited "you finally figured out what I was telling you dummy" voice). You've been warned footed full zip jammies can be unzipped by a willed child fighting bedtime.

Warning #3: random nudity.  One evening while Marcus was at the fire station I decided to start working on the pool.  Ian was happily playing in his sandbox, digging, dumping, piling, etc.  I'm working away looking over to him every couple of min and saying a random "Hi" and "don't throw the sand out of box, play with the sand in the box". Well, apparently he is fast as I look up to do a check in his naked from the waist down about to step into his sandbox and sit down to play.  Needless to say playtime and pool work ended immediately. You've been warned toddlers can strip at an insane speed.

Warning #4: you will develop the ability to put a pull up on and PJ pants in the middle of the night without a light.  One night Ian woke up crying (I think if memory serves me correctly it was Thursday night), but it doesn't really matter. Anyways I think it was around 2:15a and his crying so I go to see what the issue is and as I go to pick him up I realize he is naked from yet again the waist down.  In a half asleep attempt I get his pull up back on him and turn his pants outside in and redress the lovely little boy who then takes up half my sleeping area in the big bed. You've been warned, now go train to put a pull up on the correct direction and turn jammies in the right direction in the middle of the night without a light.

There you have it 4 warnings when it comes to a little person learning their independence and the reaction that nudity will get them. Ooo...and I'll leave ya with one warning for public restroom usage.

My little family went out to dinner one night which it is completely pointless to take Picky Pete out to dinner unless it's for pizza or breakfast for dinner but that is a post for an entirely different day.  In usual toddler form just as your meal is served they annouce "POTTY" and of course follow that up with "MOMMY".  Meaning no matter how convincing daddy (or any willing helpful adult) can be in his/their attempt to take toddler potty it's not going to work, mommy only.  I apparently somehow made going potty way to much fun the 1st time as we had to go another 4 times with the last time as I'm ready-ing him to do his business he starts laughing and says no. You've been warned, make going potty the least exciting activity ever when out in public.

1 comment: