Thursday, June 7, 2012

artwork

Thanks to Pinterest I got in touch with my Martha Stewart side.  I saw the idea back in November or Decmeber and knew exactly which photo I wanted to use. I called upon our good friend and photographer Brittany Knox and put my order in.  When we had Ian's 2yr photo's done I picked my print up and then I let it sit in the photo tube in my closet for about 4mos.  Again I was gathering the courage to tackle the project, I even tossed the idea around of disregarding the project and purchasing a canvas of the same photo through a Living Social deal.  

I decided one day to just do it (due to my instant need to do the project I failed to take any in the process photos), in order to do it though a trip to Home Depot and Michael's was needed.  At Home Depot I purchased a 20x24 piece of MDF, I had a team member from the Home Depot staff cut it to the size I needed.  On the list at Michael's was modge podge so coupon in hand that was purchased.  Once home I used paint that we had left over from the trim around the cut out in the dining room and painted the MDF with 2 coats.  Once dry it was time to really take the plunge and apply the print to the MDF using modge podge.  My print was 16x20 so ensuring the photo was centered was VERY, VERY important and if not centered you can consider project FAIL.   After measuring a couple times it was time.  I applied the modge podge to half the back of the print and applied print to MDF, once placement was good for the 1st half I applied modge podge to front to lock it into place.  I then did the same to the other half. I applied 2 coats to the top and it gave me the finished project of:

sorry about the glare


Hanging it was another challenge in itself, it took both of us with one standing on the frame of the cut out and leaning over the basement stairs.
sorry about the ugly light fixture, we have yet to find what we want

another view


I think I spent around $30 and have modge podge leftover for other projects that I get the courage to tackle.

No comments:

Post a Comment