Thursday, June 21, 2012

13.1

By golly it's been a month since I logged 13.1 miles in one run.  Last time I wrote about training I was at the distance of 8 miles. Well at that point I still had 4wks till my race day, and I didn't make it I decided to run 13.1 2wks ahead of my scheduled race day according to the training schedule.  So the week after I ran 10 miles I headed out for 13.1.  My concerns and solutions with running my own were:
1. no potty stops if nature were to call.  Solution: map out a route in which I run through neighborhoods in which I know people who wouldn't mind opening up their facilities to a sweaty me.
2. no water stops. Solution: have a gel pack and bloks, I know those aren't water but I made up for water when I got home.
3. no assistance with when/where to turn along the way. Solution: I used the map my run app, it didn't help my time when in subdivision and I had to stop to look at the map and find my way out but I didn't get lost.
4. no photographer.  I know really not a big but still felt I needed proof that I ran it so solution:
this was taken at mile11 (only 2.1 to go)


The day started at 6:30a, Marcus left for the station and I got up and around had my normal breakfast of egg whites.  My mom arrived around 7 and I was out the door after a quick potty stop by 7:25a. I told my mom to expect me back within 2hrs. I ran the entire time even when I looked at my map I slowed my pace down to find my way. I didn't require any potty stops, I learned that a lot of subdivisions by me are all connected.  I arrived back home 1hr 56min 45sec later, I reached my goal of finishing under 2hrs!! 

Overall, I'm proud of myself for finishing what I started although I never had a doubt in my mind that I wouldn't do it.  And, I would do it again...crazy? Maybe, but to know that I don't have to pay for a race in order to stay motivated and training is a good feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment