Monday, August 30, 2010

San Diego Part 1

This past week we hit the road then the air for a getaway and headed to San Diego, CA. If you recall here I mentioned that my dad was headed out there for his biannual (is that a word?) anyways his union conference that takes place every other year. And well seeing as though we had yet to visit the great state of Cali we took him up on his offer for us to join him, my mom and my sister there for a few days.

We stayed here, if you have never used vrbo.com before I suggest you look into before booking your next stay at a hotel. Anyways, my parents arrived on Sat the 21st, my sister arrvied late Monday night and we were to arrive late Tuesday. Well we arrived uber late on Tuesday due to a 2+hr delay in Indy. Fun times, Ian was a trooper and made friends wherever we went (who can resist a toothless, drooly smile and the laugh of a baby?).

He did great on the flights, yes flights. We flew from Indy to Dallas to San Diego. Security was uneventful, it was interesting to see the differences between secrutiy at Indy and San Diego as I was on edge as they were handling my liquid gold and testing it (no, I don't do anything crazy to my milk) I was concerned that they would drop a bottle before putting the lid back on. All they were concerned about was the milk and water bottle. Enough with that nonsense on that let's move onto the fun stuff

Day 1: I awoke around 7 SD time which is 11 back home (I can't tell you the last time I ever slept past 11 in the last 4yrs). Did my pumping, workout and shower while Marcus feed Ian then he showered and we hit the streets for a walk and exploring the area for a bit. Upon return my sister was presentable after her workout and shower so she looked up how to get to Balboa park so we hit the streets again and well her directions got us to a playground but not Balboa park and Ian was asleep by the time we arrived as well. So back to the condo we went as my dad was done with his stuff for the day. We hit the streets again in search of an eatery for lunch before adventure #1.


Adventure #1: We rented 2 tandem bikes, a bike trailer and a beach cruiser through Groupon. Once we found the bike rental place (which was an adventure in itself as the name of the place was no where to be found on the building) they informed us they only had 1 tandem. Lovely, my thinking all along was that my parents and Marcus and I would get a tandem and my sister would get the beach cruiser and pull Ian in the trailer. Well...instead I pulled Ian in the trailer and was stressed to the max. The bike rental people gave us directions on how to get to Mission Beach and well they forgot to inform us that we would be crossing a uber big bridge in which cars are just feet away going uber fast. So there I am trying to remember how to ride bike and learn to pull a trailer and in the meantime I've got Marcus and my sister behind me worrying the crap out of me about keeping the trailer on the sidewalk and making it up the ridiculously big bridge. I'm also laughing at myself trying to make it up the bridge in which I simply stop moving altogether and have to walk the bike and trailer up the rest of the way. We made it to the beach and Ian got to get out and visit the ocean he loved the water, the sand the whole thing!!




After our beach adventure, we loaded back on the bikes and Ian wanted no part of it. He cried the whole time and not just a wimpering cry but a get me the HELL (yep I said it) out of here NOW cry.

If anything he was our warning signal that we were coming through and if you are in our path you better move. We continued on for a little while and then it was best if we got back to the car ASAP. Needless to say that bridge was not going to get the best of me on the way and it didn't, those couple spinning classes came into use as I gradually built my speed to make it up without a problem!!

We headed back to back to the condo, relaxed a bit and got cleaned up for dinner and adventure #2 for the day.

Adventure #2: Padres baseball game at Petco Park against the Diamondbacks. I'm not a huge baseball fan but actually enjoyed it.


Ian got a bit fussy as he was still unsure of the whole time zone change so my sister took and and walked with him till he fell asleep although I really think she used him as bait to snag herself a guy. She denies it and maybe she is right as I was not told of any successful guy snagging. The Padres won and that wraps up day #1 and adventures 1 & 2.

Stay tuned for day 2 & 3 and adventures 3 & 4 & 5.

4 comments:

  1. Umm baby + single girl= usual turnoff to guys...I'm just saying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ian is such a trooper! Sounds like he did great with the trip. I gotta say, you're braver than me to travel across time zones...I'd be paranoid that it would get Avalon so out of whack! But, again, Ian is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to Marcus in his new adventure. I had no idea. Nor did I know about Adam. Guess, I need to keep up with the blog, huh?

    ReplyDelete