Tuesday, June 8, 2010

cross off

I can cross run a 1/2 marathon off my list of things to do. The only trouble now is that I'm competitive and want to do better. I know can do better I was doing great while training. I had 3 goals: Goal 1: finish, Goal 2: take no potty breaks, Goal 3: finish under 2hrs

I fulfilled goals 1 and 2 my finish time was 2hrs and 16min. For one I was battling a sore throat, sinus drainage, cramps and a blister that welcomed itself to my foot by mile 3. Yes mile 3 I still had 10.1 miles to go...the race was yellow flagged the entire time due to high humidity (the humidity was the highest it has been on race day according the Sunburst officials) so we can add that into the conditions I was running against. The blister that developed then caused me to change the way I ran to help reduce the pain and well at the finish line and all day after the race my knees paid the price for that minor shift. I was not prepared for the hills, yes I ran hills some hills in training but not Hill St. this hill is even hard to drive up so I've heard...I also don't know my way around the area in which we ran so I had hard time talking myself through it. When I train I know my course I know what to expect, Running is basically playing mind games with yourself till the finish line. Oh the mind games I played.

The question has already been asked if I will run a 1/2 again and I think the answer is yes, I know I can do better and I know if the cramps and blister hadn't attacked me, my sister and I would have finished together. Which would have made the course not feel so boring and never ending and the mind games wouldn't have been so hard to play.

Bonus Marcus, Ian (my training partner) and my parents were in the stadium to greet us and take us home to our respective showers.

Real quick my cousin Connor who is 17 and the one that will be a senior at Penn ran the 1/2 in 1hr 38min his goal was 1hr and 50min...are you kidding me he always under estimates himself and does way better. Oh to have that thinking.

Here's my sister and I:


Here's the part of the family my cousin Adam and his wife Alicia and their son Nicholas walked in the sunburst.

2 comments:

  1. What a great accomplishment! Way to go Ashley! And remember you just had a baby what 6 months ago! Yeah you're super mom!!

    ReplyDelete