Friday, January 14, 2011

Cheerios Cake and Smash Cakes

When it came to planning Ian's 1st birthday I knew that I didn't really want a theme the only theme we had was Ian is turning 1.  When it came time for the cake Marcus and I thought what does Ian like and the only thing we knew he 100% likes is Cheerios so we made a Cheerios cake.  We tossed around serval ideas to accomplish this and did a trail run a few weeks before so that way when it came time for the real thing we would be ready. 

Well, we forgot to account for Kota dog eating the corner of the one of the cakes, me not being able to shave a cake down evenly or being able to spread icing without making it look like a kidergartner did it. I bought 3 cake mixes and made all 3 cake mixes threw all 3 cakes away and then sent Marcus out for 2 more boxes of cake mix and more eggs.  I made a 911 call to my MIL and made a desperate plea for her help (the party was the next day).  You see my MIL is gifted when it comes to mixing ingredients together and has a way with frosting bags and frosting tips. She has made a birthday cake for Marcus for each and every one of his birthday's.  In his younger days she would make a 3D cakes...no pressure right?

It was New Year's Eve (Ian's birthday) and were headed over to my in-laws anyway to celebrate Christmas with my sister in-law and her hubby since he had to work Christmas day.  So while the guys watched Notre Dame play and win my MIL and I were baking the cakes and making the frosting and figuring out our game plan.  This is what we came up:



We piped the icing instead of spreading it and the heart is Cheerios treats (marshmallows, butter and Cheerios) that was in the original plan.  The tricky part came with the lettering I feel we accomplished what we were going for and that would not have been possible without my MIL and her willingness to ring in the new year with me piping yellow frosting.

Smash cakes:

Again a big thanks to my MIL she made 3 smash cakes (1 for his photo shoot and then 2 to pick from for his bday we didn't know how the monkey would turn out).  Well I think the monkey turned out great, she did from a picture again such talent she has. I think Ian will have lots of memorable cakes.  Guess I better get practicing.

1 comment:

  1. Ash...that cake is a-MAZING and a very creative idea. love it!

    ReplyDelete