Thursday, January 20, 2011

dark circles

I have dark circles under my eyes that only getting darker and my brain is fried trying to think of ideas to help Ian sleep thru the night.  He did great with sleeping up until about 3 months ago and then started waking up anywhere from 1 to 3x a night.  He goes to bed prefectly fine never puts up a fight. Staying asleep is  different story.
We have tried:
  1. letting him cry it out, I gave up after 45min
  2. feeding him right before bed didn't make a difference so at least I know he isn't hungry
  3. having white noise in the background 
  4. keeping him up till 10, this worked once
  5. sitting next to his crib and rubbing his back
  6. getting in his crib with him, yes you read that I right I hopped right in and it didn't make a difference
  7. Motrin/Tylenol combo for any teething pain
  8. Humphrey's teething strips/tablets
  9. baby orajel
  10. Johnson and Johnson's bedtime body wash and lotion
  11. music playing in the back ground, in case there was a case of loneliness going on
  12. .....
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions.  He typically goes to bed between 8-9 wakes up anywhere between 12-2 and then will wake up again around 2:30 and sometimes an hr later and then will sleep till I wake him at 7 (on the days I have to work) or whenever he wakes up on the days I have off. What ends up happening is that I get him and as soon as I pick him up he nuzzles into my neck and cuddles, we usually head out to the couch and he goes back to sleep within about 5-20min and usually within that time I too have fallen asleep.  After I wake up I carry him back to his crib where he will sometimes stay asleep until the morning or following the pattern or something very similar mentioned above.  I have talked with our Dr and said there is no "this is how you do it" book you more or less have to fly by the seat of your pants and often times go into survival mode.  He said  his kids liked to sleep in his and his wife's bed so so they rolled out sleeping bags and told them if you want to sleep in here there you go.  It wasn't ideal he said but everyone slept.  We are in survival mode right now we all sleep maybe not in our respective beds but we are sleeping and it might not be a great sleep but it's sleep.  Any thoughts????


7 comments:

  1. Carter did that for a couple months and then eventually got better. Maybe it's growing pains? Carter is also on a very strict sleep schedule which I think really helps. He gets up at 6:30 and naps from 8:30 to 9:30 and then from 12:00 to 3:00 and his bedtime is between 7:30 or 8:00. I think that has helped him the very most with his sleeping. Don't know if that helps you any, but either way I'm sure Ian will grow out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley you are NOT alone! M NEVER slept straight through the night until she was probably 1.5 yrs. I don't know how I survived that. But finally when she did..I was the one who was up every hour! Good news. she sleeps like a champ now..8pm-7:30/8am :)

    HOwever, I too am sleep deprived from G, she's up at least 2x to nurse. Understandable. She's hungry and she's teething horribly :(

    Believe me I tried everything. (Forever I thought that lavender johnson and johnson baby bath and lotion was the trick. negative-didn't work.) I honestly think it's breastfed babies but then again I know boob babies who sleep through the night..lucky Moms!

    I dunno. I agree with Mandy he'll grow out of it and eventually YOU will sleep again!!!

    PS. Why didn't I just call to tell you this instead of blogging my whole life story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That stinks, Ash, I feel for you! It could have something to do with his daytime routine and/or bedtime. When I had difficulty with Avalon (sleeping/eating/whatever) I always went to the Baby Whisperer forums. I'm attaching a link for you that will take you directly to the "toddler" forum (for babies over 1yr old) and maybe you can find suggestions and help there. Good luck, I hope it gets figured out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaaaand, I forgot the link. Duh. Here it is: http://www.babywhispererforums.com/index.php?board=34.0

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so super frustrating! I've found The Toddler whisperer helpful as well. What are his naps looking like? Naps REALLY affect how Gooner sleeps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't help. Erin is almost three and doesn't sleep through the night on a regular basis. We just deal with it as best we can and realize she won't be in this stage forever. Do whatever it takes for all of you to get some sleep. Sometimes we are more patient with her than others. Some nights we just bring her in bed with us, others we go in there and sit with her while she goes back to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't feel like I am at a place to offer suggestions, just empathy as my little guy did the exact same thing. He slept great for about 2 months and now gets up at least once a night.

    Let me know what you find out and if it works. :)

    ReplyDelete