Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Products

When I was pregnant with Ian I sent an email out to other momma's asking for their top 3 can't live without baby products.  If anyone has been in Babies R Us it can be a little overwhelming and that is putting it lightly.  Once I received responses back it was onto figuring out which brand to go which is comparing sizes, reviews, functionality, etc.  Now that we have made it throught the 1st year I will go through my list of must haves and items I could've passed on.  My must haves and could've passed on's all come down to personal perference.


Must Haves:

Jogging stroller: I get that this is not going to a must have on a lot of people's lists but thanks to the jogging stroller I was able to train for a half marathon.  He was probably put in the jogging stroller sooner than what is recommended I always tried to make sure there was support around his head and neck.  I also ran on a well paved route so bumps and turns were few and far between.  We found our stroller on craigslist for a whooping $75 this retails brand new for around $200. This is the stroller we purchased it's Jeep Overland Limited Jogger has built in speakers, pedometer and a front fixed wheel which I perferred I felt I was able to handle it better while running it allowed me to push with one hand:
*Now it is a big stroller is fills up the entire cargo area of my vehicle leaving very little room for bags if road tripping or grocery shopping

Swing: we have a lil house and needed a lil swing so we got for our lil guy: A Boppy Rock in Comfort travel swing.



Breast Pump: this is something that I would not skimp on the brand/price it is pricey but for use was a huge money saver compared to formula.  We purchased a Medela Pump In style Advanced.  I used this up to 8x a day everyday
Bottles: We use Dr Brown's bottle system there are a lot of parts and a lot to clean but I never knew any different as these were the only bottles we ever tried.

Powder: this powder was actually given to us for when Ian wore his helmet to help prevent/treat heat rash.  It's called Caldesene and let me say any redness that was at diaper change #1 by diaper change #2 it is GONE...SEE YA LATER...


Vaporizer: at any sign of congestion causing wakefulness at night we plug this in:
Swaddle Blanket: for some reason when husband's become fathers they have the ability to wrap your child in the tightest unbrakeable burrito. Me on the other hand couldn't do it so this came into great use it's Summer Infant Swaddle in those middle of nights feedings and the need to be re-swaddled occurred.


Monitor: this monitor gives us peace of mind at night it's by Graco and is an Angelcare movement sensor monitor again we have a lil house and at first we weren't going to get a monitor because we have no problem hearing Ian if he is awake.  My sister actually found out about this monitor, an alarm will go off if no movement (breathing) is detected.  Now there is a downside but it doesn't come till later now that Ian is mobile he will often times wind up in the corners of the crib where there is no sensor meaning the alarm goes off.  It gives huge peace of mind especially after Ian's stay in the NICU and the constant monitoring that is done there.


Burping/Spitting: Ian is not a big spitter upper so we would usually go through one of these a day if that.

If you are looking for something that has style and more appealing to the eye check these out by Courtney Bock:

And if you are in the Michiana area check them out in person at Orange Tree

Those are my must haves so that means it's time to move onto could've passed on.

1. gilder/rocker, currently all of Ian's stuffed animals are sitting in it. 
2. boppy nursing pillow
3. diaper bag, let me explain.  I searched high and low for the "perfect" daiper bag and I have one it sits in my car.  I can't tell you the last time it has left my car or that I have gotten anything out of it or put anything in it. When I leave the house with Ian I take a wipes carrier and toss a diaper in it and then toss that into my purse and if we are going to be gone for more than two hours I toss another diaper into my bag. 
4. everyday stroller, we purchased from my boss a peg perego stroller and then purchased a car seat that adapted to it.  Looking back I would have gotten a snap n-go  and then a nice (chicco or McClaren) lightweight stroller and our jogging stroller.

Well, there's my lists of must have's and could've passed on of items.  Again it's personal perference and what is going to work best for your lifestyle and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment