Monday, September 12, 2011

Books

I'm a nerd and I'm okay with that because I get to be nerdy with 9 other fabulous ladies once a month @ 7p when book club starts.

Here's a run down of the books we have read since last year:

Sept: The Help by Katheryn Stockett


Oct: The Island By Elin Hilderbrand



This is just like a soap opera.  We've got ourselves a love affair x2, jealousy, divorce, suicide, passion, rash decisions, and a free spirited family member all on an island that doesn't have running water or electricity. 



 
 
 
 
 
Nov: The Year of Living Biblically by AJ Jacobs
 
This is one I couldn't finish and in fact only a few of our very dedicated readers did finish.  I was bored it felt like the same thing every page.  He did something and he learned something, repeat.  Those that did finish said it was just like that.  It was a little to literal for me.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Dec: Mercy by Jodi Picoult
 
Those that really know me, know that I love me a Jodi book.  However, we as a book club learned that reading a book, while prepping for the holiday's, attending holiday functions, etc don't blend well with reading a book in December.  Nonetheless what I did read of it I enjoyed.  And would like to finish reading it along with the other Jodi book I have next to my bed.  Jodi brings up ethical issues and by the end of the books I still don't know how I would handle them if they were placed into my lap. Some of my faves of hers include: My Sister's Keeper (read the book don't watch the movie), Handle With Care, House Rules, Nineteen Minutes, The Pact, Harvesting the Heart, Plain Truth, and Keeping Faith. Sign You Home is currently sitting next to the bed.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Jan: The Glass Castle by: Jeanette Walls
 
This one is an eye opening read.  It's a memoir of the author Jeannette Walls' childhood of growing up with 3 siblings and father who is brillant when sober and a mother who is an artist but doesn't really want to work or provide for her family. This is one I would read again especially before the movie comes out that is in production.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Feb: Little Bee by Chris Cleave
Here's the description on the inside of the book:
WE DON'T WANT TO TELL YOU TOO MUCH ABOUT THIS BOOK.

It is a truly special story and we don't want to spoil it. Nevertheless, you need to know something, so we will just say this:  It is extremely funny, but the African beach scene is horrific. The story starts there, but the book doesn't. And it's what happens afterward that is most important.
Once you have read it, you'll want to tell everyone about it. When you do, please don't tell them what happens either. The magic is in how it unfolds.


All I can say is read it!





March: Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bon's by: Lorna Landvik

We needed something a little lighter after our Jan and Feb. readings.  If you asked some of our husbands they at times would have said we were reading a book about ourselves.  As this a book that has 5 women who have a book club and the bond that is formed.  In fact it was while reading this book we got ourselves to pick the books we read how the characters in the book picked theirs.






April: Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo

If you were to read the back you wonder how you would get through it without any tears.  And I won't lie there were some tears that were shed but not for the reasons you would think.  The discussion of this book opened up a whole new aveunue of book club that we have never entered before.  We are all christian women, some go to church while others don't but we all pray and the night of this books discussion we for the 1st time prayed together as a group of women.  We had a great discussion and all took something from this book and have since applied it to our lives.








We have a couple more months worht of books to catch up on but i'm calling it a post for today and will touch on the others at a later time. For now if you haven't read any of the books mentioned I encourage you to read all of the except the bible one.  You will be bored

1 comment: