Thursday, September 1, 2011

Paleo

What does paleo mean here is what Wikipedia says: The modern dietary regimen known as the Paleolithic diet (abbreviated paleo diet or paleodiet), also popularly referred to as the caveman diet, Stone Age diet and hunter-gatherer diet, is a nutritional plan based on the presumed ancient diet of wild plants and animals that various human species habitually consumed during the Paleolithic era—a period of about 2.5 million years duration that ended around 10,000 years ago with the development of agriculture. In common usage, such terms as the "Paleolithic diet" also refer to the actual ancestral human diet. Centered on commonly available modern foods, the "contemporary" Paleolithic diet consists mainly of grass-fed pasture raised meats, fish, vegetables, fruit, roots, and nuts, and excludes grains, legumes, dairy products, salt, refined sugar, and processed oils.

Alright now that we have that out of the way we will go on. My friend and Paleo follower Chelssie came over last week and while J and Ian played we talked Paleo. After going over what I eat throughout the day I'm already following the Paleo way in some ways such as (this is what I'm eating today and usually eat everyday I like routine what can I say):

Breakfast: scrambled eggs- paleo approved
morning snack: rice chex- not paleo approved but doesn't have gluten so still kinda good
mid morning snack: carrots- paleo approved
Lunch: Applegate deli meat, strawberries- paleo approved
afternoon snack: rice crackers- not paleo approved due to the rice but better than other crackers
pre-dinner snack: protein bar- no good
Dinner: chicken teriyaki- good but the rice is not paleo approved but better than noodles

So overall on any given day I'm eating at least 80% if not more paleo than not. Which is good and I'm staying away from glutens which is also good.  One can determine on their own how strict of a paleo follower one wants to be.  Come Christmas I may fall off the paleo wagon but I won't fall off without trying to hang on I've got almond flour and I'm researching alternatives to refined sugar and brown sugar as well and will playing around with some of my favorite Christmas cookie recipes. My Trader Joes shopping list is growing.

Below is a picture of a meal Chelssie made this past month:

Fresh strawberries, roasted squash and broccoli, carribean jerk chicken
Can you say yummy?!?! She also just sent me a link of some info to read through that I haven't gotten to look at it throughly yet but from what I did read and what Chelssie told me as well is that paleo requires preperation.  Off to prepare some sweet potatoes which are my new protein bar replacement.


No comments:

Post a Comment