Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Bring it out and step on up

My soap box that is.  I only have 2 issues I'm getting it out for today.

Issue 1: Our new house is a mere 1/2 mile (that is over estimating) from the elementary school the boy will be attending.  I being an active person was very excited about this so I started envisioning The Boy's school career of walking with him to school and from there go on a run vice versa go on a run and "pick" him up at the end of the school day or BOTH. Sounds like a fantastic plan to me that on the 1st day of school got slashed in front of my very eyes. As I backed out of our driveway I witnessed parents standing at the end of their driveways with their elementary aged children.  And a big yellow bus coming down the road....ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?! The school is a stones throw away from my front door and there is a bus to transport the children to said school.  SHOCKING, I took my shocking discovery to my husband who grew up in this neighborhood, he was not surprised and said well not all parents can walk their child to school due to having a career, etc. My argument they have time to stand outside in the driveway and wait 10min for the bus when they could have walked to school and been home in that 10min (counting on the fact that your child is not a lolly-gagger).  His argument ok that is fine now but in the winter some days it's too cold.  My argument get in the car and drop the child/children off. Again that would take 5min to do but instead the parent is standing outside for 10min (I'm sure longer in the winter due to road conditions) waiting for the bus.  I'm obviously still upset about this as school has been in session for almost a month now. I have on the upside seen some children who reside on the same road as my in-laws who ride their bike's to school which makes me feel better. There is a school corporation in our area that does not offer bus service and somehow those students/parents find a way to get to school in the rain, heat, and snow without a problem.  I truly don't understand why bus service is offered to our neighborhood to transport child to the elementary school.  To me it is a WASTE of money and time for the corporation. I say all that to say Ian will be walking to elementary school or if weather is bad we or I will transport him ourselves and that is after we feed him breakfast.  That is a soap box topic for another day though.


Issue 2: **Disclaimer I know there are many corporations out there that have the same policy.  Also I am by no means making any subtle annoucement of a 2nd baby Z.  It's just an issue I have with business America. Okay now with that little editors note out of the way I will begin.My husband works for a large bank in our area that is local to our area as well some surrounding cities/counties.  They value their customers and employees and will go out of their way to serve.  When our son was born on Dec 31st 2009 he was early, he was in the NICU and it was a life changing event in our families lives.  My husband had to use vacation time to celebrate/adjust to this life changing event so that we would still receive a regular paycheck.  However if there were to be a death in our immediate family he would be given days of grievance. To help cope/adjust to the life change without losing any pay.  Same goes for if an employee were to get married that would receive 2 days off paid as a way to say congratulations and allow time to adjust to this life changing event.  Do you see my issue here, when a child is born which is a joyous, life changing, emotional life event you get nothing.  I'm not saying a death or marriage should not receive any days I'm saying a birth should be given days as well.  It is just as life changing as death and marriage.

Ok,  feel better with those 2 issues off my chest.  Thoughts, agree/disagree?  Oh and I promise next post will be much more light hearted.

No comments:

Post a Comment