Monday, January 11, 2010

L & D part 2

Part 2 of 3:

By 5 something I started pushing, my contractions now were further apart due to getting the epi (looking back I kinda regret getting it). By 7a another shift change was happening not only for our nurse but also with the Doc. which is fine b/c I had never gotten to meet the on-call doc from the day before. The doc coming in I had meet and liked (very important). Chris our nurse from 3a-7a stayed and helped until Ian arrived as she had invested a lot of time and energy into me she never left our room once contractions started getting serious at 3:15.

I continue pushing with the encouragement of 2 nurses and then the Doc arrived. My epi was slowly wearing off which I'm glad because it allowed me to feel when contractions were coming and when I needed to start pushing. I know it's the nurses jobs to be encouraging to a woman who is having a baby but I got annoyed, I knew the 1st goal was to get his head out from under my pubic bone so as I would push the nurses would tell me "that's it, way to go 1 more like that, you're getting there" after the contraction was over I would ask did I get his head under the pubic bone and they would answer "not yet". So what they were really telling me is that those pushes weren't good enough and we were lying to you!!! But with each contraction their encouragement worked until after the contraction was over and I'd ask the same question. And get the same response.

The Dr. arrived around 7:30 and got into position, I had meet my 1st goal and my next goal was to see eyebrows so again I would push the nurses would encourage and after the contraction was over I would ask "do we see eyebrows yet" and the dr. would answer "not yet". I would constantly look at the clock and set a goal time to have this baby. That goal time would come and go and a new would be set. I was telling Marcus afterwards I was doing this and he said he was doing the samething. So at 8:39am Ian's full body arrived into the world. Kangaroo hold has begun (baby lays on mom's chest for 1st hour after delivery).



Kanga time over and it was time for Ian to get cleaned up and stats to be taken.



Once he was cleaned up it and into daddy's arms



It was then my turn. I impressed the nurses with my ability to get up without help and walk without help. Considering 2hrs prior I had zero feeling in my legs and I felt as though they weighed a ton.

Part 3 to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment