Friday, January 8, 2010

L&D Part 1

Labor and Delivery:

This is going to be a 2 part series possibly 3 but as of right now it's a 2 parter.

Day 2 (12/30) of bedrest I awoke felt fine just as I have every morning. Got myself around Marcus headed to work. I settle into my place for the day with a nice little to do list to tackle in the resting position. The day goes on I complete my to do list all except for crocheting Marcus a hat. Over all a pretty normal day, i do my thing the dogs do theres although Lexus was acting extermely anxious and constantly coming up to me and if I got up to use the bathroom she was right behind and waiting by the door as I completed my business. During the day on a check-in call with Marcus I mention the odd behavior from Lexus we both agree that she is just being weird and go on with the day. Around 5:40ish I sit down from making (microwaving leftovers) dinner and feel a trickle I go to the bathroom and the trickle is different from anything else I have felt. Marcus calls on his way to dinner with some old co-workers asks what I want for dinner that he would bring it home I tell him not to worry as nothing sounded good from the restaurant he was going too and I had already made myself some tasty leftover turkey and mashed potatoes. I mention to him the trickle and he verifies with me that I didn't just pee on myself I confirm that I did not pee on myself and that the trickle is continuing. He suggests I call the Dr. although I was hesitate to do so b/c it was just a trickle no gushing. I do some self diagnosing on the internet and come to the conclusion that I should call the Dr. I place the call to have the on-call doc call me. He calls me back I explain to him the trickle I'm feeling and he suggests I come in and get checked out as it sounds as though my water may have broke. I call Marcus and tell him to head home as he is enroute I'm getting our bag together (that we packed over the weekend). Also my poor sister was waiting to board her flight to head back to Orlando while all this was going on.

Marcus arrives home and I set out some comfy clothes for him to change into. He gets himself around and we say bye to our doggies and head to the hospital. We arrive 7ish, they send us to triage (this is where you go to see if you earned your golden ticket to a birthing suite) I get myself in the beautiful hospital gown and wait with a trickle. The resident comes in and gather some fuilds to see if my water has broken and she also does a pelvic exam and determines that she can still feel the bag but my water has broken and that the bag has a leak. She issues us our golden ticket and we head to birthing suite #7. Our nurse Jessica comes in and get things around and explains that we can A)sit in the room and wait for things to kick in or B)walk the halls. We choose option B as walking will bring on labor. I entered the hospital at 2cm dilated and 80% effaced. We walked the halls for a total of 3hrs with serveral stops back in the room for fetal heart rate checks we had our hall walking route down to a 7min walk. By 12:30a they check me again come to the conclusion that pitocin is needed to progress things along. They weren't going to start this though till 1:30 and I asked what we are waiting for so they pushed it up to 1a while waiting on the magic medicine to arrive Marcus and I attempted to get some sleep we had both been up the entire day since 7 for him and 4 for me (remember sleeping was not the most comfy thing to do).

Waiting for pitocin to arrive:



1a arrives with the pitocin and by 2 I felt a gush my water had finally fully borken (so glad this happened in the hospital and not at home, work, or in the car). By 2:30 contractions had started they were manageable as they weren't too close together by this point. 3a brought upon a shift change we said goodbye to Jessica and hello to Chris. By about 3:15 contractions started getting serious about a minute and a half apart and unbearable I asked for an epidural, Chris checked me out and said I was up to 6cm she called the Epi man and I cried in pain. Marcus was very encouraging and I said to him I wish I was 10 (meaning 10cm) and he took it as me wishing I was 10yrs old which he found to be odd. So he got me to a laugh (a little). Epi man finally arrived and by time he finished the epi I had started some serious shaking and the chills kicked in. I asked Chris what was wrong with me and she said it's b/c I was progressing so quickly she checked me again and said I was betwwen 8 and 9cm and would be pushing soon. The epi had kicked in for my left side but not my right so they had to pull it back out and reposition it. Drugs are fully in me I'm still shaking to the point that they could no longer get a blood pressure reading from my arm and had to move it to my leg.

Stay tuned for Part 2

1 comment:

  1. Ashley, Ashley, what a diary you are compiling....save it and put it in Ian's baby book. Anxious to read part 2. Also what you have written is very similar to what Marcus told me when he called. Love ya!!! GR

    ReplyDelete