Tuesday, February 16, 2010

unsure

I have full intentions of running my first half marathon on June 5th. I have yet to register but I plan on running. I'm quite excited about this but I'm unsure about how to train. Now, I've done 5k and 10k's before and well they are short runs compared to a half marathon and a sprint compared to a marathon. Hence my unsureness when it comes to properly training. My schedule will allow for running 4 days a week and the other three I will do circuit/strength training. Sounds like a plan right? Well I'm unsure about how many miles to train as I don't want to injure myself before the race or over train (is that possible). Quite honestly I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm sure you could notice if you've ever trained for a half marathon. I do know the weather needs to improve greatly before I hit the pavement as I don't get along well with treadmills. One bad incident of blacking out on a treadmill and falling off can do that to a person, I must add I suffered no injuries during the fall I now suffer from a fear of treadmills. Any insight would be helpful or I could myself running like ths:

4 comments:

  1. http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244--6851-2-2X5X8-4,00.html


    this link is from runners world, they have three different levels of training this is for beginners I figured this would be a good one if you haven't ran a half before, but if you go to the site you can see the others as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I did my first half I used Hal Higdon's training schedule.

    http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/index.htm

    I'm planning on using it again, too. However, I my farthest run before the race was only 10 miles, and HOLY CRAP, on the day of the rest those last two miles about killed me. So this time around I want to try and get up to 12 miles prior to the race. I think. Maybe. WAHH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have given you a plan silly, but it was going to be the Hal Higdon one he "trained" me for my marathons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, I have been up and running for 5 weeks now and my body is nowhere near half marathon ready. The most I've done is 4 miles. To be honest my body is different after childbirth and I'm finding most EVERYTHING different. I did not run through any of my pregnancy due to an ankle injury right before I got preggers. I'm thinking a half this fall, but most definitely not June. I do the Beginning Runners Journal. A 13 week program that gets you up and running. Last year I was running about 8 to 13 miles once a week upon completing that. Once you are used to running distance it just isn't a big deal. Much dif than marathon training in my book.

    ReplyDelete